On Friday last week, then the whole weekend to follow i worked on lots of small items i want to have on my stall at kensington. These were tiny items like mushrooms, horns, bones, dragon skin and a whole load of other little things. My idea is to sell them in packs so people can scatter them around their witch and wizard houses.
On Monday i baked them... well more over baked them and the whole lot burned apart from the dragon skin/hide. Dont know how this happened and have accused everyone for touching the oven.
So quite sad to have lost so much valuable time and two massive trays of work. I didn't get to do a lot last week apart from those few days, so a whole week was wasted with nothing to show.
For a few days ive been experimenting with resin. The resin i have is Solid Water by deluxe materials.
I didn't have the colour dyes that are sold to go with resins so have been running experiments on alternative ways to colour it.
Perhaps everyone already knows but i discovered artist oil paints work with resin. You just need the tiniest amount in your mix and can create any colour of your choice.
This brand of resin dries really clear and has a high shine. I think if my memory serves me right it takes a lot longer to dry than other resins.
I also found it was so much easier to fill the test tubes and small glass items with resin unlike scenic water and liquid fimo. I didn't use a syringe like everyone suggested and just used a cocktail stick to drip the resin in.
Heres a picture of my testers.
I didnt make a lot because i was worried something bad would happen as it all dried like chemiacal reactions against the oil paint and polymer clay.
They are now all as hard rock and perfect with no chemical reaction, so will be making a whole load more this way.
The bowls are to become penseives on wooden bases and are hollow below the resin. I've left the hollow gap to add lighing trough the base. Hoping the light idea works!
I've also been trying to make dragon books and pleased with them so far. These are
I've spent hours again experimenting trying to create a look of leather.
Quite a few of the book trials are total failures but at least through my tests ive found a way that works for me and learned a lot.
The eyes in the centre were paper (found the images online) that ive built up with liquid fimo and baked.
Once the book was totally complete ive added resin to create a high shine on the eye.
Will be making a load more of these because i love them to bits.
They are made with a combination of materials like tissues, polymer, ink and resin.